The work carried out by doctoral students during the process of writing their doctoral thesis will be evaluated every year. The “SAD – Supervision and Assessment of Doctoral Students” is the online platform that will allow doctoral students to complete their Doctoral Student Activities Document (DAD) and Research Plan (PLAINV) online and which will enable thesis supervisors and the academic committees to supervise and assess their doctoral students. Students must receive a positive evaluation to be able to continue with their doctoral studies and to register for the following academic year.
- Research Plan and Document of Doctoral Activities
The Research Plan (PLAINV) defines the objectives, tools and methodology, schedule and any other means students use to produce their doctoral thesis. In this document, in the first year, students should include the following information:
- Title of the thesis
- Tools and Techniques
- The thesis project planning
- ORCID identifier (look at the 10 reasons for having an ORCID at the URV and ask fot it in this web).
This PLAINV is required for first-year students and is going to be updated at any time during the doctoral programme with any improvements, progress and/or modifications deemed to be necessary.
The Document of Doctoral Activities (DAD) is a record of all the relevant activities carried out during the doctoral thesis. For example:
- Attendance and/or talks given at courses, conferences, symposia, seminars, etc.
- Publications (articles, books, etc.)
- Industrial protection and/or intellectual property rights (patents, etc.)
- Participation in projects
- Work experience in companies
- Awards, subsidies or other prizes
The evaluation must be positive if students are to be allowed to continue on the doctoral programme and enrol for the next academic year
When the period for introducing and/or modifying the DAD and the PLAINV is over, the process of evaluation will begin:
- The supervisor/s will issue a favourable or unfavourable or absent report on the content added by the doctoral student.
- On the basis of the report issued by the thesis supervisor, and of the DAD and PLAINV presented by the student, the Academic Committee will evaluate the work by giving one of four possible qualifications: pass or fail or absent or absent due to a temporary leave.
- Finally, the Steering Committee of the Postgraduate and Doctoral School will aprove the Act of Results of the evaluation issued by the Academic Committee.
- Students must pass if they are to continue on the programme. If they do not pass or are absent, they will be re-evaluated and a new PLAINV and DAD will be drawn up.
- If they fail to pass a second time, they will be required to withdraw from the programme.
- Students who do not upload their documentation for evaluation via the application (absent) will automatically be given a fail. In this case, they will have a second opportunity to upload their documentation; if they fail to upload their documentation a second time, they will again be given a fail and they will also be required to withdraw from the programme (except in cases where the non-first-year student has taken an authorised temporary leave of absence from the doctoral programme, was unable to upload his/her documentation for the second exam session, and was given a qualification of absent due to a temporary leave).